Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Investment Advice


Tracked by (0)

One TARANGAM wrote:


Dear all,
Last Friday I invested in Sundaram Select Focus via SIP at Rs.10,000 per month for 10 months. I have another 6 lakhs to invest in MFs. I wish to invest next week in the following 6 Funds via SIP at Rs.10,000 per month in each of the 6 Funds. I wish to have your advice before I invest. I am looking forward to hearing from my well-wishers, Ashal, Ranjan, Kentmss etc.

1.SBI Magnum Contra (G)
2. DSPML T.I.G.E.R. (G)
3. DWS Investment Opportunity Fund (G)
4. Reliance Growth Fund (G)
5. Tata Infrastructure Fund (G)
6. Principal Child Benefit Fund-Career Builder
Plan

Regards.



























My reply was :
Dear Tarangam,
How are you?.
Your first choice of Sundaram Select Focus is excellent one and definitely recommended.
Regarding your choice of other funds namely,
1.SBI Magnum Contra (G)
2. DSPML T.I.G.E.R. (G)
3. DWS Investment Opportunity Fund (G)
4. Reliance Growth Fund (G)
5. Tata Infrastructure Fund (G)
6. Principal Child Benefit Fund-Career Builder
Plan

I am not a believer in SBI Magnum Contra nowadays., especially since Sandeep Sabharwal left the fund. I am not saying that just because he left, the fund is not good. But the point, the new fund manager Sanjay Sinha, is threading slow and defensive in Stock selection and hence Sbi Magnum Contra is now more a Contra Fund, and is just one more Diversified Fund. If you want Contra Fund, you could look at JM Contra Fund which is managed by Sandeep Sabharwal. Also, never go by ratings, for in Mutual funds Past performance may not always be repeated. Just look at Franklin Blue Chip Fund. It was given 5 star rating in 2005 when it gave around 126% annualised return. Now where is it standing?. It is not even in the top 25 Funds.
I am fully with you regarding DSPML Tiger Fund. Go ahead.
DWS Investment Opportunity Fund has been a good performer and has a tendency to pick multi-baggers like Gujarat NRE Coke out of nowhere. I recently met one fund manager, he seemed to bullish on all DWS Funds., and was recommending DWS Alpha Equity Fund among Large Cap Fund (I have to admit I have yet to study about this fund).
Reliance Growth fund has been a star performer both in Bull and Bear Market and is a must have in every portfolio.
I am not in favour of Tata Infrastructure Fund, because you have already invested in DSP ML Tiger Fund, instead you could look at DSPML Natural Resources Fund which will be complimentary to the DSP ML Tiger Fund.
Regarding Principal Child Benefit Fund, I am in full agreement with ashalanshu that you are better off investing in HDFC Prudence Fund.

You can also consider Franklin Templeton Equity Income Fund, which invests predominently in High Dividend Yielding Stocks worldwide and will be a good diversifier.
Best of luck.
Srikanth Shankar Matrubai.

No comments: